Thursday, June 09, 2005

Freedom

So I don't have to go back to work until Monday! Awesome. Just awesome. The last few days at work have been totally miserable. The storm system that came through on Sunday did a lot of damage and there have been spotty power outages and cable outages ever since and people are starting to get totally pissed. Then there are just the normal, "I hate your company but you have a monopoly," customers. I had one guy tonight go on a rant about how TiVo is sooooo much better and he can't wait til they come out with a Hi-Def compatible one because then he is going to throw our DVR in the trash. I wanted to tell him to take his $5,000 TV and shove it up his ass, but somehow I managed to restrain myself.

Anyway, I have four days off from Comcast and the Gap and that is amazing!! The Las Vegas plan has changed into camping for multiple and complicated reasons, but in all honesty I really don't have Vegas dinero right now, so I'd rather just go camping. A sexy man + beautiful Lake Michigan + my bikini + a good book + some beer and campfire grilled hot dogs = one damn good weekend. I'll get to break in my new Old Navy flips flops. :) And I haven't been camping in a looong time, not since I was in Ecuador, so I am really lookin' forward to it. Pray that we have nice weather!

I was thinking the other day about how my whole Life Plan has changed in the past couple months. Before I started working at Comcast I was 300% that I'd be joining the Peace Corps within a year. Now I'm considering starting grad school next winter, since the company has a fantastic education assistance program. I could go get a master's for almost *free* and then I'd only have to work for one year after I graduate. So let's say in 4 years (OK, maybe 4 1/2) I'm all done and I have my master's in [insert subject here] from [insert institution of higher learning here], then what? The Peace Corps for two years? I'd be 30 by the time I was done. And then law school, the ultimate goal. I'd be just starting my career at 33. Or 34. Where exactly am I going to fall in love, get married, have a baby, or two, or three? And I'll still be in debt up to my arse from Michigan and wherever I decide to go to law school. I dunno.

It seems silly to worry about these things because they are so hypothetical and far away. And who's to say I won't fall in love tomorrow and be married in a year, then what?? I guess what I'm playing around with is the concern that maybe there's really no point in having such a specific timeline for your life, because shit happens, and people change, and opportunities present themselves, and you just never know who you are going to meet when you wake up in the morning. So maybe I should just relax, take my time, live my life, and see where the road takes me.

More after the vacation, for all 4 of you that might ever read this. (Maybe some new pictures too!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

-Sir Winston Churchill

check out my blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/imagineve

Anonymous said...

I think it's good to have a plan. But you need to be flexible too, you know, ride with the tide and go with the flow. Sometimes you can trade one dream for another. Obsessing about getting everything done within a certain time period will make you crazy. It was bad enough while you were in school. Life is not like school. (It's better)