Sunday, June 19, 2005

Diarios de motocicleta

Has anyone seen, “The Motorcycle Diaries,” with Gael García Bernal? If you haven’t, then you should. I just watched it and I have to say that Anders was right, it’s incredible. I think I may have to make a trip to Borders come pay day and purchase some of Guevara’s writings. (For all those who don’t know, the movie is about young Ernesto “Che” Guevara’s South American trek desde Argentina hasta Venezuela with his companion, Alberto Granado. If you don’t know who Che is, then stop reading this immediately and go get your learn on, Google him or something, jeez!) It was insightful, funny, and beautifully filmed. Makes me miss Ecuador.

It also makes me wish I would have paid closer attention in a Spanish lit class I took during my fall semester senior year. It was a study of the lives of the indigenous people of the Andean region of Latin America, especially Ecuador, Bolivia, and Perú. I remember sitting in the class three times a week being bored out of my mind, and I remember reading some interesting essays, but I also remember hating my professor. He was terrible at engaging our class – he lectured for the straight 90 minutes with his back turned to us, his voice resonating off the chalkboard, the whole time making frantic and completely illegible notations with an ever dwindling piece of chalk.

During the final exam, which was a one-on-one conversation about the course and what we learned and a discussion of the material, I was thinking, “Man, every word that is coming out of my mouth is complete and total bullshit. And in Spanish no less. Hmmm, I wonder how you say ‘bullshit’ in Spanish?” Then my 25 minutes were up, and he opened the door to let the next person in and touched me on the shoulder and said, “María, por qué duermes en mi clase?” And I said, “Lo siento Profesor Allende, pero estoy enferma, tengo pulmonía (pneumonia),” because I had just been diagnosed. And he nodded and I left and another student had their 25 minute bullshit session, because truthfully we all hated the class. Somehow I got a B+ in that class, which mystifies me still.

But there is a scene in the movie where Ernesto is reading a book that a doctor specializing in leprosy had just given to him. And it’s a book I read for that class, by José Carlos Mariátegui, called Siete ensayos de interpretación de la realidad peruana. And I thought, “Hey, I’ve read that.” And though it may sound incredibly trite and simple and stupid – and even snobbish – I really get a kick out of moments like that. I think I have to read the book again now, and I’ll have to dust off my Spanish dictionary too, because my dependence on the subtitles to understand big chunks of the movie has made me realize that I am shamefully fuera de práctica.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw that movie. Pretty damn incredible. Loved the scenery. And I thought the story was very true to Che's actual diary and letters. My sister gave me the book in the summer of '03, but I didn't get around to reading it until I was in Ecuador. So it was a similar feeling for me to see the movie this past winter. Took me right back to laying on my bed in my room in Quito reading and hearing the festival go on into the wee hours of the morning outside. I copied a piece from the book into my journal: "But the people are not the same proud race that time after time rose up against Inca rule and forced them to maintain a permanent army on their borders; these people are a defeated race. they look at us meekly, almost fearfully, completely indifferent to the outside world. Some give us the impression that they go on living simply because it is a habit they can't give up."

Maria said...

Muellerleile! Wow, proof that you do read my blog. Did you ever meet my Danish roommate, Anders, when we were in Quito? He saw this ages ago and recommended it to me, but I could never seem to find a theater nearby that was showing it. :( I finally rented it and I wish I'd gotten a chance to see it on the big screen because the scenery was breathtaking. It put me right back in Ecuador. I felt that way while watching, "Maria Full of Grace," (or "Maria a llena de gracia" for those hispanohablantes in the crowd -- I think that is the right word!!) because although it is set in Colombia, they filmed it in Ecuador, for obvious reaons. There is even a song playing in one scene that was popular while I was there. You should pick up that book I mention in the entry ("Siete ensayos...") because I think you would find chunks of it pretty fascinating. Some parts are incredibly dense and sticky, but there are very interesting passages in it as well. Oh and by the way, thanks for the pic and the book suggestions, I've a list ready for the next time I go to the book store. When's the move to WI?

Anonymous said...

Your totally right about "Diarios". I saw it ages ago back in the UK and it was one of the things that made me want to come back to South America (I'm sitting writing this in the middle of Gringoland in Quito!). I know the lack of spanish practice thing as well. the first few days i was here were pretty tough but getting by now. Had totally forgotten about Maria Full of Grace. Your right that was a really moving film, really well scripted and subtle. One of the best things being back here is the music again. All the usuals are still playing and Reggaeton has now gone into orbit, it's all over the place!! Anyway, I'll email with more news from Ecuador when i get a chance.