Thursday, August 11, 2005

Workin' It

Man, I just realized today that I will not have a day off of work until August 19th. That is eleven consecutive days of Comcast. How shitty can you get? I am working 14 hours of OT this week and I've only completed 6 so far -- already I want to run my headset over with my piece-o-crap car that is *still* busted. Speaking of my bucket ride, Shaun is saving my ass this week and I cannot thank him enough. Aside from letting me borrow his car EVERY DAY, he's letting me crash at his house, eat his food, and keep him awake by pestering him for kisses when he really needs to be sleeping. I kept trying to give him gas money and of course he kept refusing it, until today, when I snuck his car to the gas station and filled up his tank for him. If he's not careful, I'll do it again. (This is not an idle threat!!)

Talking to Nik tonight I realized how much I am really, really going to miss her when she moves to D.C. (I mean, I knew from the get-go that I'd miss her, but tonight I was thinking, Man, I am going to MISS her.) I am so excited for her, but the selfish side of me wants my friend to stay close so I can still have my favorite shopping partner and co-concert goer within driving distance. Plus without Nik here ALL of my best gal friends will be far away. I am going to have to bust out the little black book and dig out some chicks from the past to avoid turning into a pathetic homebody with no life. No life and ten cats. And a fondness for knitting and eating ice cream straight from the carton.... Eeek!

It's hard for me to feel sometimes like I'm not getting left behind. I always felt like I would do big things with my life, with my brain, with all those freaking A's I got in school, and it seems that all of my friends are packing it up and moving it on and I feel stuck here, chained to my freaking headset, never to escape the crushing weight that are my student loans. Whenever I start to think like this I try to imagine a miniature version of my mom standing on my shoulder; with her hair down and her glasses on and a smile on her face she says, "Maria, you're almost there! Just keep going, a little further and it's all going to get better! Just have some faith, I've been talking to Jude and Joseph, they're on the case!" And then I smile because my mom's always been my best cheerleader. And I know she always will be. Even though I still say that Echinacea is for shit and always will be, give me my Vitamin C and a multi-vitamin any day over that malarky.

Anyhoo, I think that's enough random babbling for today to satisfy you crazy kids who read this thing. (Don't front, you know you check it 5 times a day! Ha ha!) I'll post some pics soon. Joey turns THREE tomorrow (well, today actually I suppose, it's already the 11th) and his party is on Sunday. I'm sure he'll be all pimped out, lookin' like somethin' out of a Baby Gap ad (thanks to his Auntie Maria!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget I am always up for a chick flick if you run out of numbers to call.