Monday, July 11, 2005

Ex Marks the Spot

So today I had my fill of ex-boyfriends. One in particular. It's cool if he never wants to speak to me again. If that's what he needs, then I'm happy to oblige. All I ever wanted was for him to be happy, and if that means not talking to me then as much as it sucks ass to lose him as a friend -- since that's how we started -- then oh well. That was part of the risk I took when we started to become more than friends, and I understood that from the get-go. What's not cool is him pulling a 180 on me. A week ago he was all, "We should hang out," and, "When are you coming to Ann Arbor?" and sending me little nonchalant look-see, we-can-be-friends emails. Today he said, and I almost quote, "I would appreciate it if you could limit your contact with me as much as possible, because -- after consulting with my family and friends -- I've realized that the best thing for all parties concerned is for us not to speak to each other." And when I called him out on how he could've picked a better time, since I was in the car, on my way to his mom and dad's house, to pick up all the stuff that was abandoned at the end of our relationship, he basically told me to take a flying leap. The conversation ended with him saying -- and I DO quote, "Lose my phone numbers, lose my email address, and don't ever talk to me again."

So then I said, "Fuck you," and hung up the phone. I could feel the tears welling up and I started thinking, Well shit if Shaun wasn't right, I'm gonna end up crying, and then Matt said, "You better not cry, because he is not even worth one of your tears," and I'm sad to say that I actually felt like he was right. Three years of friendship, two years of dating, and it's like that.

Oddly enough this seemed like a weekend for exes. Them showing up out of the blue, wondering why the girls they shat on for years aren't happy to see them. That's some nerve right there. I was thinking about how exes are more trouble than they're worth, but there is at least one good thing that happens when they show up unexpectedly: they remind you why they're exes in the first place.

Sorry boys, the ladies are moving on to bigger and better things. It's time for a man now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez, who else could have shown up/called?

honey, all i have to say is you deserve so much more than the two people who come to mind when i read your post. no names mentioned of course. (losers will remain anonymous) i know this is so cliche, but you know it's so true.

who knows what the future holds for you? the man for you could be right under your nose, or he could be in timbuktu. plus, i have NO idea what your current situation is, so i cannot comment on that either.

i know that it doesn't really mean much, since i'm female and so on, but i love you.

Maria said...

Well let's just say it was a weird weekend. Ghosts all around. And just to say, in case any of them are reading this (and even if they're not), they aren't really losers -- except that they managed to lose me, and I'm sure they could both make pretty compelling arguments about how I am the one that lost myself. It's just that none of them is The One. And that's really nobody's fault.

As for the guy for me, maybe he is right under my nose. I sincerely hope he's not in Timbuktu, for I have no plans to visit there anytime soon. And my current situation is fantastic, although surprising (and sometimes a bit confusing), but wonderful all the same.

I can't wait for you to meet him Steph, he's incredible. Next time you're home, OK? LOVE YOU!