Friday, July 22, 2005

Crying My Eyes Out...

Over a Harry Potter book. Oi. I just finished the newest installment in J.K. Rowling's uber popular Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and I am not ashamed to admit that I flat out sobbed through the last seventy pages. It's a damn good thing she's only got one book left to go, because I just can't handle her killing off all my favorite characters. First Sirius, now... well I suppose I probably shouldn't spoil it, just consider yourselves warned: Kleenex will be necessary. I had a hunch that one of Harry's best friends (Ron & Hermione) might die in the last book, but I never would have guessed this. *Sigh* See, that's the mark of a good writer, even when you think you know what's coming, you don't.

A little while ago I was trying to remember both the last book (other than this one), and the first book that ever made me cry. The last before this one was Cold Mountain, and the first ever was Where The Red Fern Grows. It amazes me that I can still remember sitting in my bedroom, at age 9, with my little unicorn lamp glowing on my bedside table, turning the pages of the book and crying. At some point my mom came into my room and asked me if I was OK, and I said, "Yeah (sob), I'm just reading!" And I think she must have smiled, being an avid reader herself, she knows what it's like.

I keep trying to get her to read the Harry Potter books, because although some consider them to be children's books, they are truly fantastic. She told me today that when she finishes her current novel, she's going to start at Year 1. She said, "You know what changed my mind about them? I heard that the Catholic church doesn't like them, and in my experience as a Catholic, if the church doesn't like it, that must mean there's something sinfully great about it!" I may have misquoted her a bit there, but you get the gist.

Anyway, back to my couch for more of my ongoing recovery from strep. I'm feeling almost totally like myself again, just a bit more tired and prone to headaches. Tomorrow Shaun and I are going to an early movie and lunch before he has to go to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had the book to keep you busy while recovering. I wondered if you were one of the millions waiting at the bookstore at 11:58pm for the store to release the book. :)

Hope you get better soon. I'd demand they take your tonsils out. They've given you so much trouble over the years. It would be great to show them who's boss and put them in a jar on your shelf. ;) j/k

I have a picture of Harold and Brian Warren at home that would have been perfect for your collage. It's priceless. (7th grade I believe.)

Love, S

Anonymous said...

Hey Maria,

Here are the last (and, as far as I can remember, the only) two books to make me cry:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger

I think you would like them both.

Anonymous said...

sadly no books made me cry im the looser who crys over video games and theres so much i could tell you bout the 7th book entertainment weekly like analyzed all the books and basically made the plot for the 7th and she said tha theres gonna be 2 books after the 7th