Friday, March 03, 2006

Yowza!

So, as many of you lovely readers know, my mom is a dental hygienist (did I spell it right mom???). As a result, I have never had so much as a doubt about the importance of dental hygiene. I don't exactly floss as much as I really should, but I get my cleanings and if something hurts I go to the dentist. When I was 17 (I think) I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed by an oral surgeon in Ann Arbor, and while it wasn't exactly fun, it wasn't entirely unpleasant. Probably the worst part of the experience was that as I returned home from the surgery, after having stopped at Wendy's to get a Frosty, I was bombarded by the hysterical giggles of my kid brother, since in my numbness I had inadvertently dribbled chocolate Frosty-ness all over my face, chin, and down the front of my shirt. Hey, if your kid bro can't tease you after you've just been anesthitized and had four teeth forcibly removed from your skull, who can?? But I digress.

I mentioned in my last post that I am reading A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey. I also mentioned that it is about his recovery from alcohol and crack addiction, and that he admits to having fabricated some of it, but let's just cut the guy some slack, OK? Anyway, at the beginning of the book he wakes up on a plane and has no idea where he's traveling from or to. All he knows is that he's missing his top four front teeth and that there is a hole in his cheek large enough to stick his finger through. When he gets to rehab they notice that he is need of some serious dental attention, so they send him to a dentist to have his mouth repaired. The only problem? He can't have ANY anesthesia or pain killer of any kind because he's being detoxed and it could shock his body and kill him.

My friends, I have read a lot of books. A lot of books. I've never read anything as horrific and terrifying as the scene where they fix his teeth. To quote Mr. Frey as they are using power tools inside his shattered mouth, "Bayonet, bayonet, bayonet." It was terrible. I grimaced the whole way through it. The moral of the story? If you are already afraid of the dentist, never ever read this book.

On a different note, today is my first day off from all jobs, tasks, chores, plans in as long as I can remember. How glorious! I plan to spend it reading, and taking a bath, and doing my nails, and reading! (Oh, and doing Shaun's laundry, because I am the greatest, and he'll be the first to admit it! Wink wink....) Tomorrow we are going to Saginaw to watch his little sister's cheerleading team compete. I have decided to rest my voice today so that I can cheer extra loud tomorrow.

And finally, March will be a month of brokeness for Maria since I have the following birthdays/events to plan for:
March 9: Kira (25) and my Gramps (88)
March 10: Daddy-O (58)
March 11: Nikki comes home for a visit, and subsequent partying....
March 17: Momma's B-day and St. Patty's!!
March 24: Natalie turns 16, holy crap!
& March 27: My one year anniversary with Shaun, yay!
Is that not ridiculous, or what? We can even throw Steph in there, since she's right at the beginning of April, on the 2nd! The madness never subsides around here, let me tell you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I read it after you please? I an enjoying the bunch of murder mysteries Patti gave me but I would love to read the dental horror scene--do you think he added a few made-up details to that scene also?

Shaun said...

Man i hope i remember it's your Mom's birthday! Don't forget, Old Shillelagh @ 6:30am, gotta keep tradition alive...this will be 2 years running. Mrs. Williams, you are invited to come as well, birthday beers all day for you!!!!!!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to everyone else!!!!!!!!

1 year baby, i can't believe it, remember what i want now???

Shaun, a.k.a djWeb