Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Resurrection

So, I've been absent for awhile. My bad. Shit happens.

For example, I've recently decided to renew the actually-made-from-corks corkboard project that Amy began our senior year of college. See my budding collection? If you are a wine drinker please begin saving your corks for me. I can't use those cheap-o plastic ones, only ones that are made out of actual cork. Hence the title of the project, The Actually-Made-From-Corks Corkboard.

Also, my brother got pulled over going 109 mph on the Lodge, called me to come get him, and because we'd both been at the bar (read: really shouldn't have been driving), the very lovely Michigan State Trooper that pulled him over found it somewhere in his heart not to give either of us DUIs, and instead merely gave Jess a speeding ticket. So there was that whole fiasco.

Nextly there's the fact that I am reading a new and very good book after having just finished a not-so-new but equally as good book. I miss reading and getting to talk to people about it a few days later. I actually (in my supreme and eternal dorkhood) still underline stuff in pencil that strikes me as important or moving or just plain nice when I am reading something. What did I just finish you ask? The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, quite good. What am I reading now you query?? A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey (you know, the one who "duped" Oprah? Apparently she had some trouble coming to terms with the fact that a recovering alcohol and crack addict may have had to fabricate parts of his memoir for emphasis or effect or perhaps because he's a recovering crack addict, I mean, how much can he possibly remember with total clarity anyway??).

Lastly there is the fact that lately I have become consumed with the desire to move out of my house, and, more specifically, in with Shaun. Not at his apartment because, and you may know this already if you saw the absolutely horrific pictures of what the management of his apartment complex did to his shower - eek, well because lets just say that the only 2 redeeming qualities about his apartment are that 1. he lives there, and 2. it's in Royal Oak, which is nice, but still, eek. I drive around and look out the car window and I think, "What does the inside of that house look like, and how much would it cost for us to buy it?" I try to think up compelling arguments to convince Shaun that we should move downtown, both because I believe it would be a wise investment and we'd make a ton-o-money off of selling something good in 5 years, and also because with every passing day I think the likelihood of me going to Wayne State to get my master's in a year and a half increases. He says, "No well in hell I am living downtown," and I say, "No way in hell I am living in Warren!" So we'll probably end up in Royal Oak or Berkley or Clawson or who the hell knows where.

Was that good enough for ya A.? I will try not to be so long next time, deepest apologies.

3 comments:

A. said...

Yes, thank you.

Leah said...

Glad you're back, Ria! :) I, too, was tired of the same old posting with nothing new! Sorry to hear of your brothers trouble, but I'd love to see your "corkboard" when it's complete!

Anonymous said...

So, where did you finally find those corks?