Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Best Things in Life Are Free

Perhaps it is a bit played out, but it's true all the same: the best things in life are indeed free. Matty and I experienced several examples of this on Friday night when we were hanging out. While minding our own business and drinking our brews at the Rock in Royal Oak we were suddenly bombarded by representatives from Sprint who showered us with *free* Super Bowl XL gear! We each got hats and long sleeve tees, neither of which I'd actually use, so that hat went to Jesse and the tee to Shaun. But after that we decided to head downtown to check out the official Super Bowl XL Insanity that had been going for a couple of days already. Matt works downtown and has a parking pass, and I talked us past the cover at the Anchor, and Kira being the super awesome and gracious gal that she is merely pooh-poohed me when I asked for our tab. The perks of knowing the family that owns the bar I suppose.

Now that the Super Bowl has come and gone (well, I suppose the Steelers fans are still partying it up big time downtown), I really hope that Detroit will be able to sustain some of the interest it has piqued with the whole event. It was so great to walk around downtown and see families out with their kids, and people bar hopping and just having a kick ass time. It's what a major city should feel like all the time. I'm proud of Detroit for doing us proud for the big game, and I just hope we can keep a little of that pride around, because that's what really helps.

In other news, Shaun and I went bowling last night and had a rockin' good time. It's crazy how much FUN I have with that man! Here's a picture of us having fun and looking cute at my work holiday party (which was stupefyingly LAME, in spite of the fact that they gave away a 50" plasma TV).


He is a much better bowler than me (read: he owns his very own pair of bowling shoes while I rent the dorky Day-Glo ones), but I actually didn't suck! I started off with a strike and managed to break 100 every game. Shaun finished by bowling his best game ever, and somehow still managed to be disappointed by his score. Men. (Just kidding baby!!)

Anyway, I am exhausted so I'm going to bed. If anyone has a any great pics from their adventures downtown this weekend I'd love to see them!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Ahhh young love....

Maria said...

Seriously, I know. How freaking cute are we in this picture?