Friday, December 29, 2006

I Will Never Shop At Meijer Ever Again In My Whole Entire Life

Yes, it's really that serious. Allow me to explain. On December 21st I worked for 12 hours. When I got out of work Shaun and I went to Meijer to pick up all of the groceries I needed to do all of my Christmas cooking. (Which, incidentally, was a lot, considering that I put gift baskets together that had homemade breads, cookies, and other goodies in them.) So we spend an hour inside Meijer picking out all of our groceries and what not, wait in the line, get all of our items rung up, and that's when the incident ocurred which pissed me off so badly that I will never, ever shop there again.

I had to show the girl my driver's license because I was buying some beer. She looked on the back and saw my change of address sticker. When she gave me the total I wrote her a check. My checks still have my old address on them, which J.P. Morgan Chase told me was absolutely fine. I've probably written 50 checks since I moved and never had any trouble. I just cross out my old address and put my new address on the check along with my phone number. I give the check to the girl and she tells me that she can't accept it becuase the address on my check is different from the address on my driver's license. I pointed out to her that the address on the front of my driver's license is the same address that is on my checks becuase I just recently moved and wasn't about to throw out an entire box of unused checks. She says she's sorry, that it's just their policy, and Shaun asks for a manager.

The woman behind us in line says that she has the same problem, because she also just moved, and she swears she's written checks at Meijer since her move. I thought that I had left my debit card at home, which meant that if they didn't accept my check I was going to have to leave the store empty handed after having spent an hour picking out all my groceries. The manager comes over and says the exact same thing, "Sorry, but it's the store's policy." And so I asked the reason for the policy. I consider myself a reasonable person, if she had been able to give me any kind of reason for the policy I would have listened, but she couldn't. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "It's just our policy." So at this point Shaun is getting out his money clip to see how much cash he has on him, and I look in my wallet and realize that I do have my debit card on me, so I use it and we go.

Today I went through my bank statements and added up how much money I have spent at that Meijer since moving into our apartment. The total came to a ridiculous $1,219.66. That's groceries, apartment stuff, Christmas presents, etc., but it is still a buttload of money to spend at one store in less than four months time. They lost a good customer that day because of a stupid policy for which there is no apparent reason. Down with Meijer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, where are you going to spend the next $1200?

A. said...

Oh, man, if I were you I would not be so quick to hate on the Meijer. I miss that chain so very badly. There is maybe like *one* Meijer in the greater Chicago area, and it's way the hell out in a suburb somewhere. Here, we have the Jewel, where lower-quality groceries are priced higher.

It would not be difficult to convince me to trade a vital organ for a Meijer anywhere near a major train line in the city. Not that anyone would be in a position to organize such a trade.

Anonymous said...

WalMart is the devil, and Target is over priced hello Farmer Jack LOL. Which Meijer was that anyway? Was that the ghetto one down the street from you?

Maria said...

Of course it was the ghetto one right across Hall Rd. from our apartment.

I agree with you all that WalMart is EVIL, but I do love Target.

I will be a Farmer Jack and Kroger kind of gal these days I guess.

Shaun said...

Nino Savvagio's is the place for me since I will support my girlfriend!

A. said...

Dude, this entry is so last year. Just saying.