Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Catch $22,000

Part of me hates having Monday off because pretty much everyone else in my life is at work. That leaves me a day by myself, which sometimes, like today, is fantastic, and other times is not so fantastic. Today was great because I got so much stuff done. I registered for class in the fall and made an appointment with my new advisor. I called around and got a couple of quotes on computers (it's gonna cost me at least $1600, easy). Read my new issue of The Progressive from cover to cover, and a couple articles from The New York Times that I missed yesterday. And then I did something I have been putting off for months. I actually called all of the companies that have been sending me offers to consolidate my student loans to see what kind of terms they could offer me.

Turns out, they're not so great. Half of the offers are companies which only consolidate federal loans -- which does me no good since my federal loans are already consolidated. The other half wanted to lower my payment by extending the term of my loan from 20 to 30 years, but at a higher interest rate, which might be helpful in the short term, but screws me in the long term. So here I sit, stuck until I can improve my credit just a little bit more and consolidate with Citibank. The bastards. I'm caught in a Catch $22,000. Well, it's actually $27,000, but what's five grand between friends?

I think it may be time to sign up for some overtime at work. As much as I truly, truly hate having to do that, a $1600 laptop isn't going to fall from the heavens, no matter how hard I pray. And I will have to pay my tuition up front, and then wait for the reimbursement. (You know, for all my complaining about my actual job, I gotta give it up for that benefit. Education reimbursement gets 2 thumbs up in my book.) But it's cool. I've don't have much else to do this summer, all my vacation time is gone anyway. Might as well make a little money.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got all that crap done! Sheesh! haha

Have you looked at a Dell for cheaper? Andie has one that is only about $500ish and does a damn good job (except for when people spill coffee on it...) but it's something to consider. :)

Very excited for your new venture to grad school! WOOHOO! Hope you had a good weekend! Wish I could have gone the other night :P

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and duh - I wanted to comment on the cool new look of your blog!

A Margarita said...

I like the new look!

You better watch out, I might rob your stockpile of Jasmine Vanilla ;)

Ah, what I would give to have Mondays off . . . a kidney, my first born, a lifetime sans chocolate. Kidding. Gotta have the chocolate.

A. said...

I don't want to start a commenter war or anything, but I must caution against the Dell. Better ways to use $500 include organizing it in ten stacks of fifty $1 bills, then burning it for warmth.