Sunday, April 15, 2007

Odessa On The Verge

Odessa is a little girl who lives in my imagination. Sometimes I think of sentences that involve her. Sentences like, "Odessa was delicate, even for an eight year old. She was small of frame with large, dark eyes, like her mother. She came to live with Ninny when she was only two, after her mother died. When she was five, Ninny gave her a box made of gold paper, shaped like a star. Odessa took the box into her little room and put the only photograph she had of her mother into the box and placed the lid on it, and there it has stayed, quiet and safe, ever since. Now, Odessa collects boxes."

And that's where it stops. I don't really know why Odessa collects boxes, but I know that she lives in Kentucky, has an older brother with leukemia, has a father that's in jail for killing their mother, and that someone eventually needs to ask him (the father) if he will be tested as a possible bone marrow donor for her brother. But like I said before, I just get a couple of sentences every now and then. Like right after I've taken a shower and I'm sitting on the edge of the tub with my towels wrapped around me. Which is not a very convenient time to whip out the keyboard and start writing them down. So the sentences go away, and revisit me again at other times, when I am bored or lonely or reading the label on the side of a cereal box while chewing. I have had her in my head for so long now that Odessa is a friend. I think maybe I'd like to keep her in my head.

This is the part where I think about not answering my phone for awhile. Where I wonder if maybe I am on the edge of a not-quite-mid-life crisis. Where I think about how I would like to live in a loft downtown and everyone in my life, without a single exception, tells me that it is a stupid idea, that it is unnecessarily dangerous, and that my car insurance premium will skyrocket. I feel like telling them all to take a flying leap off a tall building. Except that if they did, I would be an orphan, without any family or friends. And then it wouldn't matter where I lived, because life would be miserable no matter what.

But I digress.

I am restless, which is the root of all of this. I have a job that I despise, but that I hope I will be able to suffer through just long enough to get graduate school paid for, so that I can then get a job that I actually like. (Nikki sent me info about an organization that builds libraries in Central and South America. I'd like to do that.) I still think about joining the Peace Corps too. But then my feminine biology kicks in, and so does the math. 25 + 3 years of graduate school + 1 additional year at work to fulfill my commitment to them for paying for graduate school + 2 years, 4 months of the Peace Corps = 31. Then I still have to find my dream job, get married, make a baby (or two), buy a house (not necessarily in that order), which I figure puts me at about 50. At which point I have the mid life crisis that's been pre-empted by whatever the hell it is I'm going through now.

I get so exhausted thinking about all of that -- not to mention the daily dose of stress I give myself from thinking about how the hell our stupid government is going to fix the Iraq mess, hopefully before my kid brother gets sent there; not to mention finding a way to provide affordable, accessible, health care for all Americans, oh, and fixing global warming -- that I think I'd just rather sit in my towels on the side of my tub and think up some more sentences about my little friend Odessa.

Did I mention she collects boxes?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should really spend more time with your thoughts of Odessa. Who knows, she could be your way out. I'm sure some British school teacher who hated her job, who thought she had some silly little idea about a boy-wizard who goes to magic school would agree.

And by the way, the end of your latest entry was somewhat similar to:

"Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people." - Patrick Bateman

Maria said...

Well thank God I haven't started brutally killing people while waxing poetic about the mediocre music of the 80s. Sus, Sussudio! Although the intense fitness routine probably wouldn't hurt....

And Harry Potter was rejected by eight different publishers before it finally hit the bookshelves. At this point if I were rejected by eight anything I'd probably cash out my 401k and be on a plane to Kenya.

Right now I'm going to go crank the volume on some Depeche Mode (80s music that ROCKS!) and figure out what to do with my day off. And then maybe my life.

Maybe I'll hang out with Odessa.

A. said...

You're alive! Thank God.

The world is an overwhelming place. It is important not to be overwhelmed. Just remember that you are young and highly educated and smarter than most people.

Also: Odessa definitely has a literary future.

Anonymous said...

A very wise person once said to me that you can not save the world all at one time. Being in my job I have to tell myself that daily or I wouldn't be able to sleep. I hope you also know that no matter what you do you will never be an orphan! We all love you too much.

Love, Kira