Monday, June 19, 2006

I Can't Drive 65, and Other Bedtime Stories

So I know it's been about a million years since I updated. My bad. I've been getting more hours at Gap recently and I've been taking them because I need the dinero. Shaun now has two jobs as well, so between the two of us we have four -- who says there's an unemployment problem in Michigan?? I am OVER employed if you ask me. I have to work twice as hard just to afford my bills. But anyway, no excuses, shit has just been boring lately.

On Friday night I went out with Linda and Kathy to the Post Bar in Novi. It is pretty much the lamest bar on the planet. If I could talk my friends into it I would never go there again. Or Woody's in Royal Oak: also freaking lame! Friday everyone but me got totally and utterly annihilated -- so I brought everyone back to my house to sleep it off and then drove people home and to work the next morning. I swear I am the greatest friend of all time! (Haha, just kidding ladies, you know I got your backs!)

Today while driving to work I nearly had an aneurism while stuck behind some dillhole doing 65 in the fast line. My theory is thus -- if you want to be a law abiding citizen then whoo-hoo for you! But do NOT get in the fast lane of a FOUR LANE highway and impose your ideals about obeying the speed limit on the poor, unsuspecting people behind you. I go 80 whenever possible and when you get in my way, and then refuse to switch lanes and make me bob and weave and go three lanes out of my way to get around you, you're getting the bird, and that's all there is to it. Yes, I have road rage and I'm proud of it. I usually only express it while in the car alone. I try not to make other people suffer through the profanities that tumble out of my mouth when I get stuck behind someone that has zero business behind the wheel of a car anyway.

This weekend is Matt and Beth's wedding and I am super excited. I went to Nordstrom RACK with Kira (it was my first time there) and holy crap! I got a beautiful dress for $99 that was originally $365!! And some cute shoes for $50 too. Deal, deal, deal. Gap is having the biggest sale in the history of mankind right now, and I think it's the Victoria's Secret semi-annual sale as well, so Friday might be a shopping day!

In other news my Aunt Mary and Uncle Jim (Mom's little sis and her hubby) are coming to Detroit (*gasp* it's a miracle!) this weekend, and also Brian and Stephanie are going to be in town, so with the out-of-towners and the wedding this promises to be a very busy weekend.

Now I am going to go make some popcorn and watch Entourage again. It's my new Sex and the City. If you don't know about Entourage, you need to call your cable company and order HBO, hands down it's the best show on TV.

Peace out homies. More updates after this weekend. I'll have a LOT of new pics to put up.

5 comments:

A. said...

So you think the lone slow person the fast lane is a dillhole. Do you know why that is? It is because you live in the Motor City, and almost everyone in the Motor City can effing drive, which makes it vastly easier to single out the ones who can't.

In Chicago, *no* one can drive, least of all the bus drivers. Really. It's as if every driver on every single stretch of road in the entire city at all times is completely oblivious to all the other drivers. Terrifying.

We do have trains here, though, which kind of makes up for it.

Anonymous said...

17 Days until Peter Podein fulfills his destiny and gets pulled onstage with Eddie to sing Rockin in the Free World.

Anonymous said...

Now see, I was going to say that the person going 80, bobbing and weaving through traffic, and flicking people off for driving slower than she wants to go is the one who has "zero business behind the wheel of a car."

But that's probably because I am the guy who doesn't drive fast on the highway. I tend to keep a couple miles over the limit and stay out of the passing lane unless I need to pass somebody, and I move over for faster traffic (but if you ride my ass while I'm passing somebody, I ain't speeding up for you!).

Maria said...

Ryan -- Don't be THAT guy! Seriously, what if you are holding someone up that needs to get to the hospital because their wife just had a kid -- or an embolism? Or what if you're slowing down the guy who has the most important meeting of his life that morning -- the meeting that can get him that great promotion so he can finally buy a bigger house so his kids don't have to sleep in a cupboard anymore?? See, I always assume that someone who comes up behind me is in a hurry because they have someplace important to be. (Unless they're on a Ninja or a Ducatti, or in a Corvette, Mustang, Ferrarri, Porsche, whatever, then they're just an asshole too.) And so I move over to let them pass because I would never want to be the reason that some girl couldn't see her dad the last 6 minutes before he died because she got stuck behind some slow a-hole on the highway.

But that's just me.

And Pete, you can put your name in so you don't have to be anonymous. You may get onstage, but I actually have Eddie's guitar pick. It's in my jewelry box. It says EV on it. Oh freaking yeah.

Anonymous said...

If it's an emergency, that's why we have ambulances! But seriously, I do get out of the way for people driving faster. Usually I'll even speed up a bit so that I can get out of the passing lane faster and not make other people slow down (if they want to go fast they can, even though I don't see the reason for it). The people I won't go out of my way to please are the ones who seem to think that the passing lane is their personal privilege, and so they ride your ass and even flash their brights, as if to say, "This is my lane, hurry up and get out of the way--who the hell do you think you are passing someone at just five miles over the speed limit anyway?"

As for the guy on his way to the most important meeting of his life--why is he running late? If it's that important, be prepared, and don't depend on the kindess of highway drivers and the chance that no cops are out setting up speed traps.